Saturday, February 6, 2016

Kindness Opportunity #6 - The Caritas Village

January 25, 2016


RANDOM ACT IF KINDNESS #8: Their mission: To break down the walls of hostility between cultures, to build bridges of love and trust between the rich and those made poor & to provide a positive alternative to the street corners for the neighborhood children. 

If you are not familiar with the non-profit Caritas Village, you MUST check this place out. I recently heard about this awesome little restaurant who allows the poor, hungry, and homeless to eat for free. If you're like me, your first thought is, "Yeah, but how good could the food be?" I learned the answer to that question today - Freakin' delicious! With their professionally-trained chef, it's no wonder I couldn't stop talking about about how good the food tasted.

My co-workers and I decided to check this place out for lunch today. And we were glad we did. Every meal purchased in this restaurant helps to pay for the meals who can't afford to pay, as well as a weekly free medical clinic, after school programs for Binghampton children such as music and painting classes), a lending library, and much, much more - all of which are provided to the community at no charge! My co-workers and I even got to talk with Onie, Caritas Village's founder. Her story is an amazing one. As I sat at my table and ate my meal, I scanned the room and saw people from all walks of life - from the man who asked Onie if it was ok if he had a free bowl of soup (and she immediately agreed), to local artists, to attorneys who were obviously on their lunch break - all breaking bread together. I saw a box full of clothing, a box full of shoes, and a box full of canned goods - just sitting there waiting for someone in need to take some of the items home. I saw a restaurant full of volunteers, trying to do their part to help the community - refusing wages so that money can support the children and others in need. Please stop by and lend your support to this center if only by purchasing your lunch. What an incredible place this is. And, I really can't say it enough - what delicious food!!! www.CaritasVillage.org

No comments:

Post a Comment