Saturday, February 6, 2016

Kindness Opportunity #5 - Making No-sew Fleece Scarves for those in need

January 23, 2016


RANDOM ACT OF KINDNESS #6:
Michael and I made some no-sew scarves out of fleece purchased with money donated from from some kind-hearted friends. We then donated those scarves to Merge Memphis to use for tomorrow's Project Warm Memphis, where they put donated scarves, gloves, hats, & other needs in baggies and hang them in bus stops on Poplar and in public parks where the homeless frequent. 


Making the scarves are easy and relatively inexpensive, if you purchase the fleece on sale.  Simply purchase the fleece in 2 yard increments.  Then, cut the scarves length-wise (each scarf should be 2 yards long) in the width of a standard scarf.  You should be able to get about 6 scarves out of 2 yards of fleece.  After the scarves are cut, use your scissors to cut 1-inch thick strips along each end of the scarf to make the fringe.  Tie a knot in each fringe strip and Bam! Your scarf is complete!
(NOTE:  For children's scarves, I make each scarf 1 yard long rather than 2 yards long.  Everything else remains the same.)

IF YOU HAVE AN HOUR OF FREE TIME ON THE MORNING OF ONE OF THE MANY SATURDAYS IN THE FALL/WINTER MONTHS AND WANT TO EXPERIENCE SOMETHING VERY REWARDING, please consider volunteering your time to help these awesome volunteers distribute these packages for those in need during the designated "Project Warm Memphis" days.


KINDNESS #7
In addition to the homeless goody bags discussed in Opportunity #1, I try to keep some of these no-sew scarves in my car.  A few days ago, I happened upon across a young man holding  a sign requesting help.  Unfortunately, at that time, I was out of goody bags, but I had a couple of scarves in my backseat.  I pulled over and asked the man if he would like a scarf due to the chilly temperatures outside.  He politely thanked me and said, "Ma'am, I appreciate the offer, but I'm warm.  However, there is a man a couple of blocks down that doesn't have anything and I would sure appreciate it if you would give that scarf to him."  So, I drove down the direction the young man had pointed out - and there he was.  I could tell immediately he was cold.  When I called him over to my car and handed him the scarf, you should have seen the tears that came to his eyes.  What a blessing God gave me today - to allow me to witness such joy and gratefullness on the face of someone truly in need!

No comments:

Post a Comment